Have you ever been to a Detroit City Football Club (DCFC) game? If not, you should. If so, you’re genius. Recently two of our gas communications team members checked out the season-closing game and had a great time.
Megan and Dana were lucky enough to go to a game on a crisp but sunny October day where DCFC was playing against Miami The highlights were the:
- Players’ commitment to the game.
- Fans who adorned all sorts of rouge apparel – some even had megaphones for chants, signs and smoke bomb machines to keep spirits high.
- Food trucks ranging from pizza to traditional polish foods and more (delicious!).
- Playing the DTE “Ms Energy Saver” game (think a Ms Packman arcade game but with the goal to save energy).
- We (DTE) are a sponsor of the club and have been since 2016!
- They were founded in 2012 by a group of five Detroit residents who wanted a club of their own that would promote the city and help build community though soccer.
- Its motto, Passion for Our City, Passion for the Game, “evokes the three ideas the grassroots organization was built upon: to satisfy the demand for soccer in downtown Detroit, represent the city in a positive light, and build community through ‘the beautiful game.’”
- In 2013, Detroit City finished first in the Great Lakes Conference of the Midwest Region and was ranked #1 in the NPSL following an undefeated regular season and a Rust Belt Derby Championship.
- The club went 8–3–3 in all competitions in 2014 and finished in second place in a newly aligned Great Lakes West Conference of the Midwest Region of the National Premier Soccer League, which is one of two fourth-division soccer leagues in the United States.
- The club played in the National Premier Soccer League from 2012 to 2019 and the National Independent Soccer Association in 2020 and 2021.
- In, 2019, the National Independent Soccer Association announced that Detroit City FC would join the NISA for the 2020 season. That same year, Detroit City FC announced that they would be adding a women’s side in 2020, participating in United Women’s Soccer (UWS). In the inaugural NPSL Members Cup, Detroit City came in first with an overall record of 8–1–1.
- In 2021, Detroit City joined the USL Championship for the 2022 season, becoming the third NISA team to join the league.
Keep an eye out for the 2023 schedule which should kick off in ~March – we hope to see you there!