It’s that time of year again. As fall approaches, and we begin to think about the back-to-school season it’s also important to think about weatherizing your family cottage or summer home.
Weatherization helps keep safety top of mind, all year round. Additionally, weatherizing your home can save you up to 10% on your annual energy bills.
- Do a final carbon monoxide safety check.
- Inspect flues, vents & chimneys.
- Ensure your gas meter is clear of debris and obstructions.
- If you detect a gas leak call 911 and then DTE at 800.947.5000.
Other tips to keep costs low
- Seal air leaks and consider adding insulation.
- Make sure rugs, drapes or furniture are not blocking airflow from vents or registers.
- Ensure the roof has adequate ventilation to avoid ice blockages.
- Replace your screens with storm windows to provide an extra barrier to the cold outside winter air.
- Keep draperies and blinds open on your south-facing windows during winter days to have sunlight help warm your home.
Learn more great tips for weatherizing your family cottage home on our website.