When old man winter hits us with snow and ice, you need to take extra precautions with natural gas meters, appliances and equipment.

That’s because snow and ice can cause two dangerous situations: Gas leaks and Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

  • Accumulated snow can prevent the meter from operating properly by stopping the flow of natural gas. It can also damage meter piping, causing a natural gas leak.
  • Snow and ice build-up around your home’s fresh-air and exhaust vents can cause them to malfunction and create a carbon monoxide hazard.

In the name of safety, follow these tips to protect your family, home, business and DTE crews:

  1. Keep your natural gas meter clear of excessive snow and ice.
    • Make sure your meter is visible and accessible for maintenance and emergency situations.
    • Don’t shovel snow up against your meter.
    • Use a broom or your hands to clear snow away from the meter. Do not use a shovel, and never kick or hit the meter.
    • Careful not to hit the meter when using a snow blower or plow.
    • Remove icicles hanging from your eaves or gutters.
    • Designate someone to regularly clear your gas meter at your vacation home while you’re away.
  2. Don’t let your vents get clogged. Dangerous carbon monoxide can build up in your house if your sidewall appliance vents are clogged.
    • Check that your chimney or roof vent is clear.
    • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and test them regularly to ensure they are working properly.
    • Designate someone to regularly clear snow away from vents at your vacation home while you’re away.

Suspect a problem?

  • If your gas meter is completely encased in ice, or you think there’s a potential problem with the piping or equipment, call our 24-hour emergency line at 800.947.5000.
  • If you smell gas or suspect a CO problem, leave the building immediately and call 911 before calling DTE’s hotline. Do not re-enter the building until it is determined safe by a qualified professional.