Are you a DTE Gas customer? We might be calling you to schedule an appointment or two this year. Please note:
- There is no charge for these services.
- We ask that you please be present so that at the conclusion of the service we can come into your home and make sure all your gas appliances are relit and working properly.
- These will take approximately 15-30 minutes.
- We’ll be calling from 877.853.9434 — see this number on your Caller ID and you can be assured it’s a legitimate DTE call.
Here are the four different appointments that we may reach out to you to schedule:
1. Meter safety inspection
We prioritize your safety above all else and need to perform regular safety inspections of your natural gas meters. We’ll call you to schedule this and ask that you please be present for the inspection.
2. Change meters
We may call you to replace and upgrade your meter with a new model. This is so that we can test the meter for performance, safety and accuracy and assure the reliability of our gas meters.
3. Zero usage
If we’re not able to read your meter – or if it’s showing as zero usage — we’ll call you to inspect your meter further to identify the issue. This is for your safety to ensure you have a meter that is functioning accurately.
4. Pairing your meter for digital readings
Your meter may already be capable to connect with AMI – that’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure – which means we can get an electronic read on your gas meter daily, without needing to visit your home for a reading. You may opt for us to activate this ability if it’s not already running.
Avoiding Energy Scams
We strive to help you have a dependable, trouble-free experience. Unfortunately, both residential and business customers are targeted every day by scammers. Michigan law attempts to protect you by making these scams a felony, but we urge you to keep your guard up.
If you suspect you are the target of an energy scam, immediately contact your local police and then DTE Energy. You can also sign in to your account to confirm any online activity. Do not hand out any money or provide credit card information. Anyone suspecting foul play should contact local police immediately.
- On the phone, you can always ask for identification by asking the person to provide your account number or the amount of your latest bill. This is information only you and DTE know.
- At your door, ask to see the person’s photo identification badge, because all DTE Gas (and Electric) employees and contractors carry these.
- The employee should also have DTE logos on their vehicle or clothing.
- Please note:
- We never ask for strange forms of payment such as a prepaid debit card, Zelle app transfers, etc.). Instead, we offer a variety of options including credit cards, debit cards, bank/ACH transfers and more.
- We never threaten to disconnect power within a period of hours. We will always try to work with you to keep your service on.
- We never collect payment at customers’ homes or businesses.
- We never ask for Social Security numbers, bank account or credit card information.
We look forward to calling and servicing your home soon!