Michigan winters can be harsh on more than just our roads. As the temperature drops and you begin to hibernate indoors, your heating system is working overtime to keep you warm. Managing your energy use when the weather gets cold is key to controlling your monthly costs.
During the winter months, you are invited to participate in DTE’s Energy Action Days program. This opportunity allows you to join your community in taking small actions to lower your natural gas use on a few of the coldest days of the year while saving on your energy bill.
How do Energy Action Days work?
- As a participant, you will get an alert by email or phone call the day before an Energy Action Day. An Energy Action Day is a winter day that is forecasted to be especially cold, which means most people will be using more natural gas than normal.
- During Energy Action Days, we ask that you take steps to lower your natural gas use, like dialing down your thermostat a few degrees or postponing laundry to another day.
- Following the Energy Action Day, we will send you a summary of your estimated savings progress1.
- You’ve been randomly selected to participate in this program, but you can opt-out at any time.
What are some easy ways to save on Energy Action Days?
- Adjust your thermostat. Consider setting back the temperature of your thermostat by 5-8°F when you’re asleep or away from home.
- Hold off on doing laundry. Your washer and dryer are some of your most-used appliances. Use the cold water setting whenever possible. Heating the water can account for up to 90% of the energy it takes to operate a clothes washer. Increase your savings and safety by cleaning the lint filter on your dryer after every load, and don’t overload it. If you can, wait to do laundry until after the Energy Action Day.
- Clean or replace air filters. You can improve the energy efficiency of your heating system by 15% and improve your indoor air quality by simply cleaning or replacing your filters every one to three months.
Learn more ways to save on Energy Action Days and all winter long.
Still have questions?
Call 844.604.5510. Our dedicated team of Energy Action Days experts is here to help Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Saturdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
1Participants of Energy Action Days have been selected at random and can opt-out at any time. Savings are estimated for typical homes in the DTE Energy service area and actual savings may vary. DTE Energy cannot guarantee the amount of money or energy saved by implementing the recommended actions.