Improving reliability on Detroit’s east side
We’re working to build a stronger, more modern grid to ensure you have reliable power now and far in the future. That’s why we’re upgrading and rebuilding the electric infrastructure on Detroit’s east side. When the work is complete, our customers will see improved reliability and safety; reduced number of power outages; and increased grid capacity. The additional capacity will support the move toward cleaner energy solutions like electric vehicles, as well as new and existing residents and businesses.
East side neighborhoods
A,irport Sub, Belle Isle, Buffalo-Charles, Chandler Park, Chandler Park-Chalmers, Conner Creek, Conner Creek Industrial, Cornerstone Village, Davison, Denby, East Canfield, East English Village, East Village, Eden Gardens, Elmwood Park, Farwell, Fox Creek, Franklin, Gold Coast, Grant, Gratiot-Findlay, Gratiot Town/Kettering, Gratiot Woods, Gratiot-Grand, a portion of Hamtramck, Indian Village, Islandview, Jefferson Chalmers, Joseph Berry Sub, Krainz Woods, LaSalle College Park, Mapleridge, Marina District, McDougall-Hunt, Mohican Regent, Morningside, Moross-Morang, Mount Olivet, Nortown, Outer Drive-Hayes, Pingree Park, Poletown East, Pulaski, Regent Park, Ravendale, Riverbend, Rivertown, Sherwood, Von Steuben, Wade, Waterworks Park, West End, West Village and Yorkshire Woods
Actions we’re taking to improve reliability on Detroit’s east side
- Constructing two new electrical substations, which will deliver power to the east side of Detroit.
- Rebuilding hundreds of miles of overhead and underground infrastructure, including installing new underground and overhead wires, transformers and other electrical equipment.
- Installing new, stronger utility poles.
- Replacing wood crossarms with fiberglass crossarms on utility poles, which reduces wire down events during extreme weather.
- Inspecting and upgrading miles of circuits.
- Hardening miles of infrastructure.
- Installing smart grid devices, which can reroute power to many customers during an outage.
- Trimming trees growing close to power lines.