DTE Energy is committed to ensuring natural gas remains a reliable, dependable and safe source of energy for homes and businesses across our state. Here are simple ways your business can help stay safe every day, and in the rare event that an emergency occurs because of a gas leak.
Prioritize natural gas safety
- If you detect a sign of a natural gas leak, such as the smell of rotten eggs, leave the area immediately and call 9-1-1 and then report it to us at 800.947.5000.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions in the care and operation of gas-fired appliances within your business.
- Hire qualified contractors for installation and repair of gas appliances.
- Keep all combustible materials stored away from gas flames (e.g., chemicals, solvents, boxes, paper and printer supplies).
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in all rooms/areas of your business where people congregate.
Make a plan
Ensure that your employees are knowledgeable about natural gas safety and your business’ emergency action plan.
- Determine a method for reporting emergencies and alerting employees.
- Establish a comprehensive evacuation plan that includes floorplans with safety routes, medical routes, marked exits and a safe assembly point after the evacuation.
- Post the procedures in several highly visible employee areas.
- Designate a leader to communicate with employees and practice drills frequently.
Be vigilant after storms
After severe weather, be careful around uprooted trees. Roots systems can entangle buried pipelines, and when a tree is blown over, they may damage the pipe, resulting in a natural gas leak.