Eligibility requirements and restrictions
To be considered for a charitable contribution from the DTE Energy Foundation, the requesting organization must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be located in, or provide services, to a community in which DTE Energy does business
- Be a nonprofit (i.e. be exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and not a private foundation, as defined in Section 509(a) of the Code)
Contributions are not given to:
- Individuals (including those seeking direct scholarships)
- Political parties, organizations or activities
- Organizations for religious (denominational) purposes
- Organizations that are not able to demonstrate commitment to equality and diversity (clients, staff and board composition)
- Student group trips
- National or international organizations, unless they are providing benefits directly to our service-area residents
- Projects that may result in undue personal benefit to a member of the DTE Energy Foundation board or to any DTE Energy employee
- Conferences, unless they are aligned with DTE Energy’s business interests
- Single purpose health organizations
- Hospitals, for building or equipment needs
- Little leagues and/or sports teams
Applying for a grant:
- NEW: The DTE Foundation will provide select nonprofits an invitation via email to apply for grant support.
- Once logged in, select the type of giving priority your event or program supports, and answer a survey to ensure eligibility for grant funding.
- If eligible, begin the application process by filling out all fields and providing the necessary documents to verify your 501(c)3 organization status.
- On the last page of the application, titled “Edit-Outcomes,” you will enter the anticipated outcomes of the grant, which you will report on at the end of the grant term.
- Click on “Save and Close” to exit the “Outcomes” section and return to complete the application.
- Finally, click on “Review and Submit” to review your application before it is sent to the Foundation.
- After clicking “Submit,” you will be brought to the “Outcomes Portal” and you will receive a confirmation email that your application is under review.
- Please review the timelines for information on when you can expect a decision.
- To access your account moving forward, click “Continue Your Application” below.
- Remember to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list to ensure you receive all system communications.
Reporting on your grant:
Please send your organization’s grant reports, associated metrics, supporting documents, and any other information to email@example.com. All attachments must be in PDF format.