During the winter, you may have heard your child or teenager say, “I’m so bored – there’s NOTHING to do!” You’ve exhausted as many trips to the museum or mall as you could and, simply, need a fresh idea. Encourage your young person to try out winter sports. Not only are they a healthy outlet for keeping kids busy but, as an added bonus, some of them can be enjoyed both indoors and outdoors.
Here are a few activities your young athlete can participate in this winter:
- Ice Skating: Enjoyed by kids and teens alike, ice skating is sure to get your kiddo’s blood pumping. Grab a helmet and, for beginners and kids, elbow and knee pads and visit Detroit’s The Rink at Campus Martius Park or the Lawson Ice Arena in Kalamazoo.
- Skiing and snowboarding: For your kids, there will be few things more exhilarating than shredding the slopes with snow kicking up at their heels, just make sure they’re bundled up and are wearing the necessary protective gear, including a helmet, goggles, and thermals. Grab the kids for a trip to the mountains of Traverse City’s Hickory Hills or Alpine Valley in White Lake.
- Tubing: Michigan winters have no shortage of snow, and tubing, a version of sledding, is a great way to enjoy it. An added bonus? It’s safe for small children (under direct supervision, or riding with, an adult), too! Head to the Cannonsburg Ski Area in Belmont or Shelby Township’s Stony Creek Metropark for a good time.
- Ice Hockey: Ice hockey is one of the most popular team sports to enjoy during the winter. With proper instruction, both kids and teenagers can showcase their skills with friends. Visit the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association site to find a youth league across Michigan.
- Cross–country skiing: Looking for something that’s a little more slow-paced? Enjoy Michigan’s more than 3,000 miles of cross country ski trails! With each mile you’ll discover beautiful landscapes blanketed in snow. What’s more, cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise that doesn’t require much effort, so the whole family can join. If you’re really into it, Nordic Ski Racer has some races to check out this year.
Check out our Energizing Youth blogs for more great activities to do as a family!