It’s the time of year to prepare your home and yard with decorations for the ghouls, goblins and caped crusaders who will soon invade your neighborhood in search of sweet treats.
Well, a safe celebration is the best celebration. Following these basic electrical safety tips will help you avoid real scares, ensuring your Halloween celebration is “boo-tiful” and fun.
- Before plugging in lights or any other electrical item, check from frayed cords, damaged wires and faulty plugs. Discard any damaged items.
- Setting up an outdoor display? Make sure your corded items are rated for outdoor use and plugged into circuits protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) to prevent electric shock.
- Keep cords out of high-traffic areas to avoid a tripping hazard for trick-or-treaters.
- Don’t staple or nail through light strings or electrical cords.
- Always unplug lights and electric displays before going to bed or leaving your home.