There’s a reason they call it the “great outdoors” – fishing, hiking, boating, and it’s all right in our backyard. With so much to do and explore, it’s no wonder that camping is a favorite pastime for many Michigan residents.

Unfortunately, the fun doesn’t come without risk. Carbon monoxide is found in the exhaust of generators, camp stoves, portable grills, lanterns and other common camping equipment.

Buildup of the toxic gas can cause serious illness and may even be fatal. The best defense against CO poisoning is a carbon monoxide alarm and, the proper use and upkeep of all fuel-burning appliances.

Here are some tips to protect yourself and your family while camping in the great outdoors:

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarms in your camper, motorhome or RV, and in the cabin of boats. CO is odorless, colorless and tasteless. The only way to detect it is with an alarm.
  • Fuel-burning equipment such as camping stoves, camping heaters, lanterns, and charcoal grills should never be used inside a tent, camper, or other enclosed shelter.
  • Stay in your lane. When parked tightly together, CO from an RV’s generator can easily find its way into a unit parked next to it – through an open vent, air conditioner or window. Check with campground operators on the required distance between units.