Creating a wonderful holiday is easy with the benefits that your DTE Energy natural gas service provides. Whether it’s the even heat of a gas oven cooking turkey and pies to perfection, a natural gas furnace heating a cozy home or a natural gas dryer helping college students catch up on laundry, DTE wants to help you make a memorable Thanksgiving for your family while keeping your energy usage under control. Here are some simple steps you can take to make your family happy and keep your bill from ballooning.
On Thanksgiving Day:
- Turn down your house thermostat. You’ll likely be pumping plenty of extra heat out of the kitchen, not to mention extra people in the house, to make up for the difference.
- Make sure the front door is closed. With everyone constantly coming in and out, make sure that the front door is always kept closed. Leaving any door to the outside open can lead to a lot of heat leaving your home and a larger energy bill.
- Use the right size pot on stove burners. When cooking with gas on the stovetop, try to match the size of the burner to the size of the pot being used to avoid wasting energy. Using a 6-inch pan on an 8-inch burner, for example, will waste 40% of the heat generated by the burner. Use lids on your pots and pans to save even more.
- Don’t forget the microwave. Your microwave is the most efficient (and fastest) means of cooking. Use it for as many cooking tasks as possible.
- Plan side dishes that can cook simultaneously with the turkey. If you cook dishes at the same temperature at the same time, you’ll reduce the amount of time the oven must run — it’s easier for the cook and saves energy, too.
- If you have a dishwasher, we recommend using it rather than washing your dishes by hand. Not only will it save you a large amount of time, but it will also save a lot of water and energy costs as well. Also, don’t rinse your dishes first. Instead, scrape any waste into the trash and then place your dishes in your dishwasher.
DTE hopes you and your family enjoy a happy Thanksgiving with these tips.