What do products like cookware, water bottles, furniture and carry bags have in common? They are but a few of the plastic items that many of us use every day. Plastic fits into many Americans’ on-the-go lifestyle, and its versatility makes it a choice packaging material for many manufacturers.
While convenient, the increased use of single-use plastic goods has created the global environmental problem of plastic pollution that affects humans, wildlife and wildlife habitats. Toxic chemicals found in plastics, low recycling rates and their inability to decompose all contribute to the issue of plastic pollution.
DTE Energy is committed to being a leader in sustainability and environmental stewardship through office waste reduction and recycling programs. This Plastic Free July we welcome our customers to join us in our journey to lower our environmental impact with these simple tips:
- Take a reusable shopping bag with you on your next grocery trip. (An added bonus? Certain grocers incentivize shoppers with rewards for using reusable bags.)
- Carry an aluminum or glass water bottle, instead of plastic, with you throughout the day.
- Enjoy your morning cup of Joe in a ceramic, stainless steel or glass cup.
- Sip your favorite beverage out of a funky bamboo or stainless steel straw.
- Get your co-workers in on the action by swapping single-use plastics like plastic plates, cups and cutlery for reusable options like stainless steel, glass or ceramics.