Moving season is here! If you are one of the estimated 40 million Americans who move this year, review our moving tips to ensure your next move goes smoothly!
- Create a realistic plan, budget and timeline – and stick to it! Having a plan in place will help keep your move on track and meet all necessary deadlines.
- Plan to transfer utilities ahead of time – Don’t wait until the last minute. Set your utilities plan in motion three weeks before your move date. Last-minute scrambling will leave you frustrated if you must wait for new services to be turned on or installed. Also, you don’t want to be billed for service you aren’t using anymore so disconnecting old services and finalizing your last bill is important.
- Organization is key if you want to make moving less stressful. This applies to all facets of your move, from sorting and labeling boxes so they’re easier to unpack, to keeping all your important documents and personal items together. If you make organization a priority from the beginning, you’ll set yourself up for fewer headaches and an easier moving experience.
- Tackle small tasks first and you’ll notice that they quickly add up to big things. Attempting too many projects at once will leave you overwhelmed and behind schedule.
- Get rid of things you don’t need or want any longer. If you sort out items that you and your family no longer want, that’s less stuff to be packed and moved.
- It’s okay to ask for help! Moving is a big task, especially when it must be done quickly, and it’s okay to reach out to friends and family for some helping hands. Having one or more helpers can help you stay on track.
- Hire movers – If you can make room for it in your budget, nothing helps relieve the stress of moving more than handing off some of the major tasks to a professional moving company.
DTE understands that moving can be stressful, that’s why we make it as hassle free as possible to start, stop or transfer service. Set up your request now at dteenergy.com