In case you haven’t noticed, the last couple of months have been full of gloomy days and rainy weather. In fact, on April 30 of this year, heavy rain in metro Detroit broke a 57-year-old record with a total of 2.1 inches of rain hitting the southeast Michigan region. While these showers may bring flowers, staying cooped up indoors all day can get mundane. We’ve put together a list of fun activities to participate in during the rainiest of days so that you can enjoy your week no matter what the weather brings.
- Visit a museum – Visiting a museum can be a fun activity for the whole family. Michigan is home to many amazing museums including the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Michigan Science Center, the Henry Ford Museum, the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum and more.
- Watch a movie – A rainy day can be a great excuse to catch the latest flick at a movie theater or enjoy a classic film at home.
- Read a book – There’s something peaceful about curling up and reading a book as the rain trickles down the window outside. Go ahead and curl up in a blanket, make a hot cup of tea, and immerse yourself in your favorite story.
- Family fun day – If you’re a parent, you know it’s easy for kids to get antsy when there’s nothing else to do around the house. A rainy day is a good time for your family to enjoy a day of adventure and fun! Taking the kids out to laser tag, indoor go-carting, a trampoline park, or any other kid-friendly location in your area will be sure to brighten the whole family’s day.
- Learn a thing or two – A rainy day can be the perfect time to teach your kids about the world. Think of some fun ways to teach the little ones about energy conservation and what they can do to help take care of their environment! Take a page out of our book and write a fun and interactive environmental conservation play that you and the kids can act out for the rest of the family.
- Get artsy – Bust out the watercolors and the colored pencils! Get your creative juices flowing and create your very own work of art.
- Tackle some spring cleaning – While we admit this might not be the most enjoyable thing to do at the moment, taking care of some spring cleaning can help improve your mood, get you active and even reduce stress.
- Put your cooking skills to the test – Are you the next Gordon Ramsey? Have a passion for baking or cooking? Whipping up some of your favorite foods or treats can be a tasty and enjoyable way to pass the time.