Michigan is known for its Great Lakes and mitten shape, but there’s a lot of pride in offering some of the best food in the Midwest. Next time someone comes to visit from out of town, don’t let them miss out on any of these Michigan delicacies:
- Coney Island hot dog – One of the most popular items across Michigan, a Coney consists of a beef hot dog topped with a unique no-bean chili, mustard, and raw onions. A grab-and-go snack or meal that fills you up. Many Coney Islands in Michigan put their spin on the coney dog and create a different experience at different locations.
- Detroit-style pizza – The deep-dish square pizza originated in the 1940s and has been a Michigan favorite ever since. A thick, crispy, and chewy crust with a unique cheese blend and some rectangular/square slices sets this pie apart. Detroit-style is becoming more internationally known. Some of our hometown slices have even been listed as some of the best pizza in America.
- Mackinac Island fudge – If you visit Mackinac Island, it’s impossible to leave without getting some of its nationally known fudge. The fudge comes in various flavors for everyone to enjoy and even has ice cream flavors dedicated to its unique taste.
- Vernors – Vernors originated in Michigan in the 1860s and is now the nation’s longest-tenured ginger-ale drink. Known to be a bit and extra fizzy, it’s a drink that is great by itself or great to mix with vanilla ice cream, also known as a Boston Cooler. Vernors is not only a staple to Michiganders but a long-time fan favorite Michigan drink.
- Faygo – Created in Detroit, Faygo is one of the most beloved drinks in Michigan. With unique flavors like Red Pop, Cotton Candy, and Candy Apple, there are tons of flavors to choose from that will satisfy tastebuds. This July, we even saw a seasonal “Firework” flavor that’s selling for big money on eBay!
- Better Made Potato Chips – Better Made Potato Chips is Michigan’s beloved chip brand. Not only do they serve chips, but they also have popcorn, pretzels, and even tortilla chips. Better Made is only available in the Midwest has been one of the most popular chip brands in Michigan.
- Paczki – A paczki, pronounced as “Poonch-key,” is a Polish jelly-filled doughnut and is one of the main highlights for Fat Tuesday, also known as Paczki Day, in Michigan. In Hamtramck, some bakeries add their twist to the sweet dessert, with the use of different glazes and chocolate drizzles that add more flavor for customers to enjoy.
Which one are you most excited to share with out-of-towners?