The holidays can be the most wonderful time of the year, but the hustle and bustle of the season can quickly take away some of that magic. Errands, snowy commutes and more can leave little time to sit back and enjoy time with loved ones. Here are a few fun ideas to help you keep your friends and family first during the holidays:
- Create a new tradition. One thing that makes the holidays fun are the traditions people look forward to each year. Plan a holiday brunch with friends where everyone can enjoy a delicious meal and great conversation, a game night where family members can bring their best for fun competition, or bring all of your loved ones together for a night in with music and movies.
- Give your time. As Marian Wright Edelman shared, “Service is the rent we pay for living.” Volunteering is one of the most fulfilling activities you can do during the season. Research local charities in your area, grab a group and dedicate some of your time to enhancing the lives of the less fortunate.
- Get crafty. If you’re someone who loves creating, have a crafting party! Plan a craft party where people can make sleds out of popsicles, a pinecone elf, or create holiday cards for families and children in your local hospital during the holidays.
- Get active. The weather outside may be frightful, but these winter sports make it delightful. Bundle up, gather a group and enjoy snow sports like sledding, snowboarding, ice skating or skiing.
- Take in some culture. Be a tourist in your city and visit local cultural sites. Allow the children in your family to roam and explore at a museum, learn new facts about your hometown at historical markers or take in the architecture at beautiful buildings around town.
Photo Credit: Dig Downtown Detroit