The pandemic has caused an interruption to a lot of our normal holiday traditions. Social distancing is crucial to staying healthy and minimizing the spread of COVID-19. While you may not be able to exchange gifts in person, there are still great ways to stay connected. Here are some fun ways to virtually celebrate with family in friends.
- Play games. There are a variety of virtual games that groups can play together from a computer or smartphone. Games come in all varieties and even include classics like Uno, Monopoly and Pictionary!
- Watch a movie. Pick your favorite holiday movie and have a viewing party for others to tune in. Platforms such as Teleparty or Hulu Watch Party enable subscribers to watch their favorite movies and shows together at the same time.
- Share a recipe. Create a joint album on Pinterest with new recipes that you can each make. You can even video chat while cooking or exchange pictures of your final creations.
- Order in. Don’t feel like cooking for the holiday? Then there’s no better time to support local restaurants and grab those special holiday meal deals to go. Skip the takeout containers and serve it on plates for a fancier and more festive touch.
- Have a talent show. Let everyone get into the spirit by showcasing their skills singing, dancing, magic tricks or other talents. Everyone can tune in on Zoom to enjoy the entertainment.
- Host a virtual NYE party. Put on your fanciest attire to ring in the new year, share resolutions and watch the ball drop together from the safety of home with a New Year’s Eve themed Zoom party. Get the kids involved too with Netflix’s NYE Countdown Collection.
- Don’t miss out on traditions. With a little tweaking, many different traditions can be converted to a virtual setting over Zoom, Skype or the like. You can still bake cookies with the grandkids, craft with mom and dad, or chat over a cup of cocoa despite staying home this year.
This year, it’s more important than ever to show our loved ones that we care. One of the best ways to do that is by social distancing and staying home. These virtual alternatives can be a fun and safe method to celebrate together. They may even start a new holiday tradition!
What are you doing to stay connected during the holidays? Show us how you are spending the holidays by sharing a photo or video with us on social media!