We are truly grateful that many employees, friends and families embraced the Making Strides cause so strongly, helping DTE to exceed the goal of $50,000. The generosity supporting the campaign, including Real Men Wear Pink and a recent donation from the DTE Energy Foundation, brought the total raised to nearly $68,000 to help the American Cancer Society save lives from breast cancer.
Because of the commitment in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and other communities, we can help so many impacted by breast cancer. Every dollar we raised will fund research into the causes of and potential cures for breast cancer. Here are some examples of how donations are put to work in Michigan:
• 16,100 free rides to treatment and other appointments
• 7,250 free nights at places to stay near hospitals
• 6,000 special kits of tailored information and resources for newly diagnosed patients
• 700 wigs to cancer patients
• 24/7 live helpline offering information and education
Through these donations, we’re making remarkable progress saving lives from breast cancer. In fact, the breast cancer death rate has declined by 39 percent since 1989, reducing the number of deaths from breast cancer by more than 322,000 in the US. That’s real progress!