Across the country, and here in Michigan, the energy landscape is changing rapidly and fundamentally. That is why we are excited to unveil our CleanVision plan, a 20-year proposal to dramatically transform how we generate clean energy for you and the rest of our 2.3 million electric customers, all while investing in a modern grid that keeps energy reliable and affordable. Over the past year, we held numerous public open houses and worked with technical stakeholders to build a balanced and diversified approach to energy generation that will move us toward our goal of getting as clean as we can as fast as we can. This new plan dramatically increases our investment in cleaner sources of energy while we accelerate the retirement of our last two coal-fired power plants.
We are proud to share our CleanVision plan that will:
- Generate reliable electricity through a balanced and diverse mix of cleaner energy.
- Surpass our previously announced carbon emission (CO2) reduction goals by targeting 65% in 2028, 85% in 2035, 90% by 2040 and net zero by 2050.
- Develop more than 15,000 MW of wind and solar energy to power your homes and businesses. This renewable energy generation is equivalent to the electricity needed to power approximately 4 million homes.
- Build more than 1,800 MW of energy storage to support the Company’s clean energy transformation – more than doubling current storage capacity.
- Repurpose our existing Belle River power plant to run on natural gas instead of coal, which will significantly reduce emissions while providing energy as needed to meet periods of high customer demand.
- Starts the phased retirement approach of the Monroe Power Plant with two units retiring in 2028, nearly 12 years ahead of plan. The last two units will retire in 2035, nearly five years earlier than planned.
- Invest $9 billion into Michigan’s economy over the next 10 years, supporting more than 25,000 jobs, while reducing the cost of our clean energy transition by a projected $1.4 billion from our 2019 plan.
Proposed Fuel Mix and carbon emission (CO2) reduction goals
We’re committed to providing what you told us is most important to you, a plan that is reliable, affordable and clean. And we think our plan meets your requests. It will help prepare Michigan for future energy demands, like transportation electrification, increasingly severe and unpredictable weather, and the fast-evolving needs of the customers and communities we proudly serve.
We’re excited for what the future holds for our customers and our company. You can learn more about our CleanVision plan by visiting our website at www.dtecleanenergy.com.