As people across Michigan begin to deck the halls and celebrate the holiday season, DTE Energy and the DTE Energy Foundation are using their power for good and making this season merry and bright. From Manistee to Monroe, Grand Rapids to Detroit – we’re spreading the holiday cheer and giving back to our communities.
Here’s how we’re making houses and homes brighter in your neighborhood:
- Community Giving: Earlier this year, the DTE Energy Foundation announced its support of local, community-focused events. The holiday season, of course, means the more the merrier. In November and December alone, the DTE Energy Foundation is supporting more than a dozen holiday events across the state, and half of those are focused in West Michigan. With the Victorian Sleighbell Parade and Old Christmas Weekend in Manistee and the Howell Fantasy of Lights Parade to name a few, DTE is committed to sponsoring events that bring joy and celebrate community traditions.
- Winter in Detroit: On Nov. 17, the city kicked off the holiday season with the 14th annual Detroit’s Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony and its debut of the holiday lights at Beacon Park. Throughout the season, Beacon Park will be dashing and dancing with its special attractions and events, including: two holiday-themed Silent Disco parties (Nov. 11 and Dec. 9), Detroit Beer and Wine Festival (Dec. 15), Detroit Lions Tailgate party (Dec. 16). Plus two, special interactive light displays “Iceberg” and “Island of Warmth,” made their U.S. debuts that evening, and will be at the park through January. Stop by for a visit!
- Art Van Santa Parade –On Nov. 18, the holiday season kicked off in downtown Grand Rapids with the 2017 Art Van Santa Parade. Every year, more than 100 DTE employees and family members from Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Big Rapids and Kentwood volunteer to help with the annual Grand Rapids Santa Parade.
- America’s Thanksgiving Parade – For 30 years, DTE Energy has been partnering with the Parade Company to help sustain one of Michigan’s most beloved traditions, America’s Thanksgiving Parade. Last year, the DTE Energy Foundation, the philanthropic arm of our company, unveiled its three-year float, “Caring for our environment,” which pays homage to the company’s and Foundation’s commitment to sustaining and enhancing Michigan’s natural resources and unique wildlife. Here’s what you need to know, and remember to tune in on Nov. 23 for one of our greatest holiday traditions.
- Operation Good Cheer –For the past 11 years, DTE Energy has partnered with Child & Family Services of Michigan to deliver thousands of gifts to Michigan foster children. Through the program, DTE employees from the downtown Detroit headquarters and Ann Arbor locations sponsor more than 700 Michigan foster children and adults by purchasing and wrapping three items from their wish list. On Dec. 1, our employees will be making our lists and checking it twice as we get ready for another delivery.
- Holiday Meals on Wheels – In December, more than 600 DTE Care Force volunteers, their friends and families will help pack, serve and deliver more than 20,000 meals across Michigan to ensure home-bound and vulnerable citizens get a hot meal and warm visit in the days leading up to and on Christmas. Watch the video from last year.