In Michigan, the coming of spring means many things. More daylight hours, more outdoor activity options arise, and we start to thaw out from our wintry hibernation. Take advantage of the season right away by celebrating all that spring brings to West Michigan in April.
- Fred & Dorothy Fichter Butterflies Are Blooming exhibition: Now through April 30, don’t miss the nation’s largest temporary tropical butterfly exhibition at the Tropical Conservatory in the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park.
- John Ball Zoo: Home to more than 1,800 animals, you can enjoy reduced admission through April 27.
- West Michigan Whitecaps: Mark April 5 on your calendars as the day the Whitecaps baseball season begins at Comstock Park. Play ball!
- Film Festivals: Support developing filmmakers at the 8th Grand Rapids Latin American Film Festival (April 6-8) and the Grand Rapids Film Festival (April 13-15).
- Indoor Flea and Antique Market: There’s less than one month left to check out this unique market, open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays through April 11 at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center.
- Spring Break Hatchery Tours: Take the family on an informational tour through the Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery Visitor Center, going on from April 3-6.
- Art Hop: Held on the first Friday of every month, you get a chance to explore a variety of art installations throughout Kalamazoo. Don’t miss the April 6 event!
- Pinball At The Zoo: Check out a wide collection of pinball machines and arcade games at this one-of-a-kind event held on April 19-21 at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center.
- The Schuss Mountain Snow Challenge: Not ready to give up the snow yet? Head over to Schuss Mountain on April 7-8 to experience side-by-side uphill truck racing. Proceeds go to charity!
- Traverse City Chocolate Festival: The title alone has our attention! Enjoy tasty chocolate offerings from an assortment of vendors and the ambiance of the City Opera House on April 15.
- Sips ‘n Giggles Comedy Show: On Saturday, April 21, join Leelanau Peninsula Wines for a fun evening full of laughs and wine at Ground Zero.
- Traverse City Trail Running Festival: Lace up your tennis shoes and take part in a premier off-road running celebration on April 27-28 through Pere Marquette Forest.
For more event happenings in your community, check out “Your Neighborhood” on Empowering Michigan.