Between Independence Day, BBQs and the general magic of summertime in Michigan, there’s so much to celebrate during the warm weather months in the Great Lakes State. And while setting off fireworks is a fun and beautiful way to celebrate the season, it’s important to understand how to be safe when using them. Read on for a few tips to keep you and family safe if you’ll be lighting off fireworks anytime soon.
Purchasing and storing fireworks
First and foremost, it’s imperative to buy fireworks from a known and reputable manufacturer to avoid potential injury. In 2012, Michigan passed a law that made purchasing some fireworks legal. You’ll be able to tell legal fireworks apart by a label that includes the manufacturer’s name, contact information and directions on how to use. Illegal fireworks usually go by the names blockbuster, M-80, M-100 or quarter-pounder and aren’t labeled, so these are the types you’ll want to avoid. Never try to make your own fireworks at home and be sure to store them in a cool, dry place away from any flammable material before use.
Keep kids away and be aware of pets
It’s best to let children enjoy fireworks with their eyes only. Things like rockets and firecrackers can be unpredictable and children will often mistake duds or delays as the firework simply not working. If you’re giving kids sparklers to play with, be sure they keep it away from clothing, face and hair. Be mindful of pets nearby, as the fireworks could stress or frighten them as they have sensitive hearing.
Lighting them up
Ready to light them up? Take your time. It’s smart to only light one firework at a time (be sure it’s not in a glass or metal container) and never try to re-light a dud. Once lit, be sure you’re a safe distance away in case the firework falls over or changes direction. Never throw or point fireworks at another person or animal and never hold one in your hand while lighting.
Once your spectacular celebration has concluded, be sure to clean up afterward and remove all debris laying around the launch area. Soak all used fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the trash can and don’t allow kids to pick up pieces of fireworks debris after an event as some may still be ignited and can explode at any time.
We hope you have a safe and enjoyable experience with fireworks during whatever the occasion brings. Interested in similar topics? Be sure to read our other Empowered Community blogs for more!