Keeping track of our mental health is just as important as maintaining good physical health, especially when it comes to managing stress levels. Not taking the proper amount of time to disconnect from technology and work can lead to mental health problems such as depression and sleep disorders. When you actively seek to reduce stress you improve your mood, boost immune function, and increase productivity. Add in a few relaxation techniques throughout your day and week for optimal health.
- Drink green tea: The idea alone is relaxing in itself. You might picture your couch, a good book, and a fuzzy blanket to go with it. The health benefits are just as wonderful too. Green tea is a great source of L-Theanine, which is known to reduce anger and increase brain function. Grab yourself a cup (or two) of your favorite tea and feel waves of relaxation rush over you in minutes.
- Take a deep breath: Breathing is the most important thing we do every day but taking deep, intentional breaths can decrease anxiety, increase optimism, and reduce impulsivity just to name a few benefits. For a more in depth practice of breathing, try pranayama breathing.
- Explore your suroundings: Take a walk outside (weather permitting) and explore your surroundings to take your mind off of what is causing you stress. Maybe there is a new coffee shop you wanted to try or a nearby park you can walk to.
- Work up a sweat: Exercise is known for improving your body’s physical condition as well as fighting disease but it also helps increase your mental health too. Exercising produces endorphins that are natural painkillers and in turn can help reduce stress.
- Channel your inner performer: Studies have shown that singing can reduce stress levels and improve your mood. Belting out your favorite song in the car actually helps to slow and regulate breathing to promote relaxation. And don’t worry if you can’t quite hit that high note, no one is judging you.
- Try a hobby: Maybe you love to knit or journal but haven’t done that in a while. It’s time to make time again. Hobbies provide happiness, gratification, and fight burnout. Check out this list of the world’s most popular hobbies and try one today!
Reducing your stress level is your first step toward relaxing and recharging. Take some time out to do the things you love and make you happy. Just remember, take things one step at a time and don’t sweat the small stuff.