Instead of avoiding the outdoors this winter, embrace it! There are plenty of winter activities you and your family can enjoy while we wait for temperatures to warm back up. Outdoor ice rinks are sprinkled across nearly every community in Michigan. They can make for an active, fun-filled family day; just make sure you wear extra layers and safety gear for those who still need to find their skating legs. Lace up and check out some of the best rinks around: Which is closest to your home?
- Buhr Outdoor Ice Arena, Ann Arbor – This outdoor rink is ideal even when it’s 50 degrees out with its cooled subfloor. Stop by for public skating, drop-in hockey or you can rent the arena for large groups.
- Lower Huron Metropark, Belleville – Two natural ponds cleared for skating and ice hockey means the hockey enthusiast can practice their puck handling on one rink, while the rest of the family skates peacefully around the other pond.
- The Rink at Campus Martius Park, Detroit – Located right in the heart of Campus Martius and surrounded by boutique shops and cozy cafes, it’s the perfect place to skate and enjoy the city views.
- Clark Park Coalition, Detroit – As a member of the NHL’s Hockey is for Everyone initiative, Clark Park Coalition Hockey welcomes skaters of all ages to come enjoy open skate Monday through Saturday and to find out more about the youth hockey program!
- Lake St. Clair Metropark, Harrison Twp. – Bring your skates and some sleds when heading over to this metropark. You can enjoy a few laps around the rink, warm up in the warming shelter, and hit the sledding hill to close out a fun day.
- Ice Rink at Marsh View Park, Oakland – If you can’t get enough of skating, this outdoor rink is open daily for your convenience. Ice skating lessons are also available!
- McSauba Recreation Area, Charlevoix – Headed up north for a long weekend? Check out this outdoor rink, open to the public every day. Hours may vary, so call ahead!
- The Ice Rink at Millennium Park, Portage – Dubbed the first refrigerated outdoor rink in southwest Michigan, this pond transforms into a wintery haven for all!
- South Haven Ice Rink, South Haven – Looking to skate but it’s snowing out? That’s not an issue at this outdoor rink with a large pavilion over the top. It’s also a great place for parties and groups!
- Warren City Square Ice Rink, Warren – This outdoor rink features an indoor, heated reception area with skate rentals and concession stands, great for warming up during skating breaks.
Be sure to check the weather conditions and call any rink to confirm it’s open before you head out the door. For beginner skaters, bring a helmet and always stay near them on the ice to ensure safe skating practices. For more ideas on family-focused wintertime activities, check out ‘Your Neighborhood’ on Empowering Michigan.