It can be difficult to chart out the perfect Mother’s Day. For one of the most special women in your life, every detail of the holiday matters! This year, especially with warmer weather arriving a little early, it’s a fitting time to go beyond the traditional breakfast-in-bed. No matter what Mom prefers to do to celebrate, there are amazing places to experience together not too far from home. You can use any of these suggestions as a starting block, and create a Mother’s Day that will be cherished and remembered.
If Mom likes: THE GREAT OUTDOORS
- South Haven: As residents of Grand Rapids and Muskegon descend on Grand Haven at the start of tourist season, its cousin to the south is more quaint and quiet. Rent a boat for the day and have lunch on Lake Michigan, and follow that up with a trip to the vineyards in Coloma.
- Downtown Lansing: The Grand River comes to life in the spring. Your family can rent canoes or kayaks to careen through downtown, or even do the brunch cruise aboard The Michigan Princess.
- Stony Creek Metropark: Hiking isn’t just for Northern Michigan – out in Shelby Township, you can get your steps in. There’s also mountain biking, fishing, stunning lake vistas, golf courses… and that’s just the beginning. Bring a camera!
If Mom likes: GOOD EATS
- Tree Town, USA: Ann Arbor is quickly becoming a juggernaut in the national food scene. If it’s a filling meal Mom wants, Zingerman’s has the best (Oprah-approved) bites out there. Newer spots like Frita Batidos pair Cuban sandwiches with tropical milkshakes. You can find a top-rated restaurant for nearly every kind of cuisine from around the world.
- Petoskey: A picture-perfect beach town, the best brunches await. Many spots specialize in perfectly pressed Belgian waffles, eggs benedict, and nearly every dish that would require Michigan maple syrup. Take a post-meal break down by the water while watching the boats sail by.
If Mom likes: RELAXATION
- Bring the holiday home! A number of Michigan businesses, big and small, offer special discounts for such things as flower delivery, in-home manicures and pedicures, and cakes. You don’t need to plan a jam-packed weekend getaway to show all the mothers in your life how much you care!
Don’t let the fun stop post-Mother’s Day. See the reasons why your family should make the trek to the U.P. →