Throughout the year, DTE Energy employees strive to be a force for growth and prosperity in the communities where we live and serve to make them brighter, healthier and more thriving places to live, work and play. This support makes the homes we live in and the streets our children play on safer, provides educational opportunities and creates jobs – all of which are integral to the economic vitality of Michigan. DTE has always believed it is our responsibility to sustain and protect Michigan’s legacy – everything from our cultural institutions to our beautiful natural environment – and to help build the state’s future.
Community involvement takes on many shapes and forms. In 2016, nearly 2,000 employees participated in our Care Force volunteer efforts – logging almost 17,000 hours and helping 260 nonprofits. Recently, you may have even seen DTE doing some good work in your community:
- Coat drive – To help prepare families and children for the winter, DTE facilities across our service territories in Southeast and Greater Michigan hosted coat drives and donated more than 500 coats to local nonprofits to distribute to those in need.
- America’s Thanksgiving Parade – For nearly 30 years DTE Energy has been partnering with the Parade Company to help sustain one of Michigan’s most beloved traditions, America’s Thanksgiving Parade. This Thanksgiving, the DTE Energy Foundation, the philanthropic arm of our company, unveiled a new float, titled “Caring for our environment,” which pays homage to the company’s and Foundation’s commitment to sustaining and enhancing Michigan’s natural resources and unique wildlife.
- Santa Parade – More than 100 DTE employees and family members from Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Big Rapids and Kentwood volunteered to help with the annual Grand Rapids Santa Parade. Some walked in the parade, others served as marshals while another group helped guide Abby Cadabby – a huge balloon DTE was given as a parade sponsor – through the city streets.
- Detroit Holiday Tree Lighting – For the past 13 years, the DTE Energy Foundation has sponsored the tree lighting ceremony in Detroit, which helps to draw visitors downtown and showcases the wonderful restaurants, retail shops and activities, which all help to assist in the rebuilding of Detroit.
- Operation Good Cheer – For the past 10 years, DTE Energy has partnered with Child & Family Services of Michigan to deliver thousands of gifts to Michigan foster children. Through the program, DTE employees from the downtown headquarters and Ann Arbor locations sponsor more than 700 Michigan foster children and adults by purchasing and wrapping three items from their wish list. This year, we helped to collect more than 2,000 gifts, including bikes, electronics and clothes.
- Holiday Meals on Wheels – At least 500 DTE Care Force volunteers will do their part to make this season bright for nearly 20,000 vulnerable senior citizens. Our employees, their friends and families will help pack, serve and deliver meals across Michigan to ensure people get a hot meal and nice visit in the days leading up to and on Christmas.
- Partnership with The Heat and Warm Fund (THAW) – Volunteers from across the company helped increase awareness and raise funds for the state’s most vulnerable citizens. This year, we raised $460,000 to ensure low-income customers receive assistance and stay warm this winter and hosted events in Detroit and Grand Rapids to serve those in need.