When a severe storm rolls through, there can be a lot to think about, especially when it comes down to being properly prepared for a power outage. Even though storms provide some unknowns, there are also fun ways to enjoy them, especially with your kids. These games are great to have in the back of your mind for when that sudden storm rolls through and spoils your plans outdoors.
- Make lightning in your mouth: We promise this is safe! All it takes is some mints, a dark room, a mirror, and you will have yourself an entertaining experiment to try with the kids.
- Tornado in a bottle: Remember making these when you were a kid? It’s still a great activity to teach your kids about centripetal force in a fun, hands-on way. Learn how to make it here!
- I-spy: …with my little eye… A classic never dies. Power or no power, this game will provide endless laughs and trickery for the whole family.
- Hide and seek: Especially in the dark, this game could go on for hours. Just be sure to not step on a Lego, Mom or Dad (ouch).
- Poison Dart Frog: The premise of this game has nothing to do with real poison dart frogs but everything to do with sleuthing. There will be a detective, a poison dart frog, and some guessing going on. Here are some recommended directions, or you can make up your own!
- Build a fort: An oldie but a goodie. Gather all the pillows and blankets and make the most epic fort of all time.
- Board games: So 1999? We don’t think so. Some of our favorites include Monopoly, The Game of Life, Uno, Sorry!, Candyland, Clue, Battleship, Yahtzee… the list could go on, well past the storm’s end!
We hope you give some of these games a try for the next time you’re stuck in the house with bored kids and a storm brewing outside. And for those curious little ones nervous about storms or wanting to learn more, take a look at this blog for some helpful tips.