As you transform your home from season to season, there are a lot of moving parts to keep in mind. Where should you clean? Where do you need extra insulation and weather stripping? As you build out your to-do list, it’ll most likely come around to house décor. No matter the time of year, finding fresh indoor plants to introduce to the space is one way to support a happy and healthy lifestyle for you and your family.
How indoor greenery helps you stay healthy
Potted plants are living, breathing things that are more than happy to co-exist in a loving home—being taken care of with proper water, lighting and warmth. Transform your environment with your favorite flora, and enjoy most or all of these well-being benefits:
- Air purification: Every day, plants destroy up to 87 percent of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in your air: toxins released from man-made products. They accomplish this by absorbing the contaminants and sending them through their roots to the soil, where they are then converted into food.
- Mental health: Bringing plants into your living space is also good for your brain. Studies have shown that our green friends reduce stress levels and boost our mood, while also improving concentration and productivity. If you need a relaxing sanctuary to escape to, line it with flowers and plants!
- Raising humidity: If you hate how dry and stale the air in your home gets, indoor plants are a stellar solution. They release healthy moisture for easy breathing, and prevent skin, throat, nose and lip dryness. This makes it easier to dodge the cold and flu throughout the colder months.
Best kinds of houseplants for you to grow
There are certain types of plants that not only thrive under your roof, but do so without much work on your part. When you’re shopping around, try looking for these:
- Snake plants: Tall and slender, snake plants are an evergreen plant that, according to NASA, is one of the best houseplants for eliminating VOCs. Be careful around pets, as the leaves can be toxic when consumed.
- Aloe plants: You’re probably familiar with aloe vera – this is where the amazing topical skin treatment comes from. The spiny leaves can be crushed down for minor burns and cuts, moisturization, and even food.
- Rubber plants: These are known to be “vacation-proof,” being very hardy so long as they receive lots of indirect sunlight and aren’t overwatered. They can grow to impressive heights, making air purifying efforts even more successful.
While you’re reorganizing your home, also make sure that you’re protected from carbon monoxide →