Just in time for rising temperatures, DTE Energy customers are seeing lower energy prices beginning this month. Thanks to a drop in one of the line items on your electric bill, rates for the average residential electric customer will decrease nearly 2 percent per month.
Beat the Summer Heat and Save
The timing couldn’t be better – since more people will be running their air conditioners and using more energy over the summer to stay cool. For many, the summer months means cranking the AC, however, the real key to comfort is limiting heat gain and circulating the air. This is especially important with a two-story home.
DTE encourages customers to take advantage of simple energy savings tips that will pay off all summer long:
- Download the DTE Energy Insight app to manage your home’s energy use and help lower your bill.
- Change your air filter. The change of seasons is a great time to check your filter. A dirty filter will slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep you cool, wasting energy.
- Add Shade. Close blinds and curtains on the south and west facing windows to block out summer sunlight, which will keep your entire house cooler. To add more shade, plant trees to shade windows or move container trees and plants in front of windows.
- Use a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans make upstairs rooms feel cooler by circulating the air and providing a cooling sensation on your skin. Just be sure to turn them off when you leave to avoid wasting energy.
- Install and properly set a programmable thermostat. With proper use, programmable thermostats can save about $180 every year in energy costs.
- Add insulation to your home to improve comfort and efficiency. Homeowners typically save up to $200 a year in heating and cooling costs by air sealing their homes and adding insulation.