When DTE Energy employees work safely, they help safeguard customers and the public. By working safely, they also ensure a steady supply of energy for Michigan homes and businesses throughout the year.
That’s why it’s important to note that the American Gas Association has recognized DTE Energy with its 2016 Safety Achievement Award for employee safety excellence. The company also earned the award in 2015.
The feat is impressive, considering DTE employees operate and maintain more than 41,000 miles of natural gas lines and 44 compressors, in a service territory of more than 20,000 square miles throughout both peninsulas, in all kinds of weather and at all hours of the day and night.
Maintaining safe and reliable delivery of natural gas each and every day is DTE’s commitment to customers. It includes:
- Upgrading 140 miles of main pipeline and 320 miles of service lines this year
- Surveying nearly 10,000 miles of pipeline annually
- Completing more than 300,000 gas meter safety inspections each year
- Monitoring more than 4,000 points along pipelines 24/7
- Performing routine inspections inside some pipeline sections, using a sophisticated electronic device to verify structural integrity
This summer, DTE projects are underway to extend existing pipelines to offer natural gas to potential customers in Solon Township, Burt Lake and Torch Lake; upgrade meters for home and business owners around the state; and install new pipes to accommodate the future energy needs of a growing population in the Petoskey area.
DTE employees take great pride in serving customers and providing the energy that fuels growth and prosperity in communities throughout Michigan.