At DTE Energy, we believe you should get rewarded for practicing sustainable living with our Appliance Recycling Program. If you have an old fridge or freezer that needs to get pitched, DTE will haul it away for recycling at no charge to you. In fact, we will send you a $50 check in the mail with a bonus $20 if you include an air conditioner or dehumidifier unit in the pickup.
Even better, customers that switch out their old appliance for an ENERGY STAR® model save up to $180 per year in energy costs. Some older refrigerator models can use up to four times the electricity of new high-efficiency ones. In 2016, DTE Energy recycled more than 36,500 appliances from more than 31,000 environmentally conscious Michiganders, saving them upwards of $5,000,000!
In this respect, environmental responsibility is a central focus of our vision of providing a cleaner, safer and smarter energy future for Michigan and beyond.
Most refrigerators and freezers that are 10 or more years old contain 120 pounds of recyclable steel. Nearly all the parts and pieces that make up these appliances can be reused in some way, from the plastics and metals down to the glass dividers, shelving and compressors.
In the U.S., approximately 9 million refrigerators/freezers (i.e., 1.08 billion pounds of recyclable steel), six million window A/C units and one million dehumidifiers are disposed of each year. If you’re looking to live a lifestyle that’s mindful of our planet and its future, then proper disposal of these items is a superb and effective way to accomplish that. Appliance recycling:
- Curtails chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) and hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) emissions from being released into the air, which eats away at Earth’s ozone layer and contributes to climate change.
- Prevents hazardous mercury, oils and chemicals from seeping into the earth.
- Saves landfills from being overwhelmed by recyclable steel and other lasting materials.
Since the program’s inception, we have consistently improved our customer satisfaction with appliance pick-ups, as well as turnaround times for the rebate check. To arrange your free appliance pick-up, you can dial 866-796-0512 or use our convenient online form. Here’s what else you need to know:
- To participate in the program, you need to be a DTE Energy customer and 18 years or older.
- Your appliance should be between 10 and 30 cubic feet. Here’s how you can measure using a simple tape.
- The appliance needs to be empty, defrosted, clean and in working condition. Disconnect it from your water lines, and plug it in the morning of the scheduled pickup.
- Be sure there is a clear path for the removal of the unit – our teams don’t want to risk injury or damaging your house!
- If you’re also recycling your dehumidifier or air conditioner, it must be picked up as the same time as your fridge/freezer.